Friday, September 23, 2011

Don't Kubeba! (Shh..)

Don't Kubeba!  (Shh...)
Yesterday we packed our evacuation bags.  We were ready to flee Zambia at a moment's notice.

Our sweet, peace-loving Zambia threatened to erupt into full-blown violence,  if the opposition candidate didn't win.

We prepared for the worst as we waited for the electoral commission to release the final results.

Alex and Isaac asked me how I knew that the "bad guys weren't going to kill us."  I explained we'd be fine if we stayed home and avoided town.  So we planned a game night with friends and waited to hear the announcement scheduled for 6pm.

At 6 pm:  no results.  At 8 pm:  no results.  At 10 pm:  no results.  

Our friends went home and we headed to bed.  At 2 am I heard sirens, horns, and noisy crowds.  Either the world was going to hell, or there was a celebration in the streets.  Or both.

Mr. Michael Sata finally won the presidency and the city was ecstatic.  It still is.

The reason is simple:   Zambians felt like their voices were finally heard.

I have to hand it to Mr. Sata.  He had a brilliant strategy called: Don't Kubeba!  (Shh...)

He encouraged voters to pretend like they were supporting the incumbent president, but then secretly vote for Mr. Sata. This strategy resonated with the Zambian voters.  

Even my friend, draped in a Rupiah Banda chitenge (sarong) on election day confessed, "I voted for Sata.  Shhh!"  Then she grinned.  

So this morning, as President Sata was sworn into office, the city exploded, not in violence, but in jubilee.  Zambians tell me that they change has finally come to their country.

I rejoice with my neighbors.  I pray that President Sata will eliminate corruption, and bring prosperity to all Zambians.  

But as former President Banda said in his concession speech, "Enjoy the hour [of victory] but remember that a term of government is for years.  Remember that the next election will judge you also."

No comments:

Post a Comment