Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birthday Faux Pas

How many men does it take to do a Braai?
Cultural misunderstandings are inevitable, but I sure didn't see this one coming. 

Last Saturday I invited my French class over for my birthday.  The class chose a suitable time, I made invitations, and everyone seemed excited.  The day of the party, however, none of my female classmates came.  I was surprised.  

My friend "Skinny G" chatted with my French teacher and got the inside scoop:

If you host a party, Zambians expect you to provide everything. Potlucks are a foreign concept.  My classmates panicked when I asked them to bring a side dish.  They wondered what they could possibly prepare that would complement my American menu. 

Not only that, but the host is obligated to pay roundtrip transportation for all of his guests.  

"Who could possibly afford to host a party here then?" Skinny G asked.   

I agree, however I understand that if you are on a tight budget, shelling out $4 for bus fare can be tough.

Despite this little hiccup, the rest of us had a splendid time together.  Eric had us all play "Two Truths and a Lie," which turned out to be a fun ice breaker considering we had guests from Zambia, Nigeria, South Africa, Senegal, and Canada.  

It won't surprise me, however, if I find out that we offended someone with that game.  

Probably those Canadians...




1 comment:

  1. interested to hear how your next French class goes...

    ReplyDelete