Friday, May 13, 2011

Entertaining Ourselves

Alex & Isaac and Pauline & Alice
The ball sailed over the cinderblock wall just in time.  Isaac and Alex were whining about lacking stuff to do, and there it was:  a sign that other kids were a ball's-throw away.


A few seconds later two heads popped up.  I cautioned them not to touch the electric fence.  They nodded and asked for the ball back, and my kids obliged.


Alex, my kid who hates to waste a friendship opportunity, decided to write the girls a letter. "But how can I deliver my message to them?" she asked.


Attaching the message to string wouldn't work, because we don't have any.  And I don't have the faintest idea where one might purchase such item.  (I do know, however, where to get live chickens and cinderblocks.)

But we do have empty plastic Easter eggs, which make excellent projectile missiles and can be easily lobbed over the wall by one of my children.


After an afternoon of exchange, Alex has a collection questions and answers scribbled out on strips of construction paper.  


One of them reads:  "Alex, can you keep a secret?  If you can, I can tell you who I really am."


Alex may be able to keep a secret, but if it makes for a good story, you can bet it'll be on the Showell Update.  I'll keep you posted!




1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Can't wait to see where this goes. :-)

    ReplyDelete