Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Rest of the Story

I have nothing to do with this post.

Yesterday Alex sabotaged my social life.  One minute everything was fine.  Then it was, "Mommy, my tummy really hurts."  Finally it was, "I'm going to throw up!"  

I responded with a compassionate, "Don't you dare hurl in my car!"  

I pulled over and Alex deposited the contents of her stomach in a hotel garden.  I smiled at the surprised gardener, then quickly ushered my daughter into the car and back home.  She spent the rest of the evening spooning the barf bowl and watching cartoons.

Her stomach flu meant, however, that I was under house arrest, and my afternoon baking club and dinner party were canceled.   Eric's been in Mozambique all week, so I covet time with grown-ups.  Instead, I stayed up late sewing seat cushion covers by myself.  Yes, cushion covers.  Good Friday night fun in Zambia.

This morning came way too early.  The boys were up at five, and despite the "Do Not Disturb!" sign on my door, they made me crawl out of bed because, "We are so hungry, Mommy."  

I had no energy, so I drank a pot of coffee.   Since no one had vomited in 12 hours, we piled in the car and went to the monthly market at the Dutch Reformed Church.  I figured it would be a distraction for an hour or two.

And it was. Then it was more than a distraction...it was wonderful!  We met friends from school, work, and our neighborhood.  For the first time Lusaka felt like home to me; I could feel roots starting to grow.

Then three kids with Down syndrome walked by.  Two were identical twins, which is so incredibly rare. All three are adopted by an American couple who run a ministry for special needs children.  (Yes, we're having dinner on Wednesday.)

But that isn't even the best part of the story!

Living with this couple is another American woman.  She adopted a Zambian baby from House of Moses.  When I visited this orphanage in November, I remember meeting a toddler diagnosed with Autism.  My heart ached for him:  No one will ever adopt this child.

Ha! Oh, me of little faith.  This woman adopted that little guy in December.  In the time since he's been home, he's progressed marvelously.  He's even walking.  And his mama is madly in love with him.

I love seeing stories like this unfold.  






3 comments: