Monday, June 20, 2011

Fishing for Tigers

"I have a moral problem paying bribes, but I have more-of-a problem paying a $100 ticket." --Eric Showell

Eric negotiating with the police.
The journey from Lusaka to the Lower Zambezi River takes 2 1/2 hours, unless you get pulled over by the cops.  I'm not naming names, but the driver of our car got pulled over TWICE:  once for speeding and once for passing illegally.

Eric, ahem, the driver bartered with both cops until he paid only a fraction of the initial fine.  The officers were so friendly that Eric joked with them, "I plan on passing illegally on our way home, just so I can talk with you again."
The ferry boat at the "dock".
Down the road a bit, we boarded the river ferry.  The kids and I had to exit the vehicle while the boat was on the river.  That way if the ferry sank, we'd float right down to the crocodiles.

Speaking of crocodiles and hippos, we saw 'em when we went fishing the next day.  Before we let our kids board the motor boat,  however, we zipped on some "life jackets."  I use that term loosely because, let's just say, these jackets have seen better days.  But that's ok.  I figured it'd be better to drown instantly than to be something's dinner.
What do you think of the life jackets, Isaac?
It's amazing to see wildlife on the river.  We saw an elephant get stuck in the mud on the riverbank just as we floated by.  I'm trying to upload the video, but it just isn't happening today!
Removing the hook.
This was the whole point of our journey:  catching Tigerfish.  Our pregnant South African neighbor caught the first fish, much to her husband's dismay.  Fortunately for their marriage, he caught an even bigger Tigerfish a few hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment